If you have been searching for ways to improve your leadership skills, then you are part of a small minority today, who is seeking to improve themselves, and that’s to your credit
In every walk of live, self improvement should be an integral part of our daily discipline.
One of my favourite mentors, Jim Rohn, commented one time that “people today have rickets of the mind”…
…and that’s always stuck with me. People take time out, maybe three times a day, to feed their body, but how much time each day do they take to feed their minds?
Here’s a reality for you. The majority of people today have been taught to act as followers. That’s not what they set out to be, it just happened and they don’t realise what has happened to them. It’s just the way the human mind works.
We get programmed by our associations and our experiences. It all happens subconsciously and it’s incredibly difficult to unlock that programming if you don’t know how.
I did a post recently on how the reticular activating system puts you in “Locked Down” mode, so I’d suggest you go and take a look at that because until you understand what is constricting your ability to receive new and better input programming, it’s virtually impossible to break free from those shackles.
Until you do, you will always feel unfulfilled because you can never achieve your true potential and that will always be a weight at the back of your mind.
Rest assured, the burden of regret weighs far heavier than the burden of self discipline…
None of us are perfect, but it’s a great goal. Trying to be perfect will definitely set you up for being successful and step you away from the crowd.
Take a look at what the “Crowd” has and the quality of their lives… the houses they live in, the cars that they drive and where they go on vacation. Do that and ask yourself the question. Is that what I want?
Be honest, if the answer is “No”, then step away!
Leadership skills are great skills to have and important for success, not only in business but in life as well. Followers are, by definition, looking for leaders… so if you intend to start your own business, whatever type of team or organisation you are planning to build, the quality of your leadership will determine how many followers you will attract.
Essential Leadership Skills
If you are a team leader or business owner then the first thing you must do is learn to communicate your message. Don’t talk like a boss, be part of the team. Talk about the shared vision, the future and what the plans are each day to accomplish the team goal.
[bullet_block upload_icon=”http://diamondwealthmastery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/orange-icon-gears32.png” large_icon=”0.png” width=”” alignment=”center”]
- Empower your team to share ideas, communicate and express their concerns. If your team feels like they can reach out to you they’ll listen to you even more.
- One of the essential character traits of all great leaders is honesty. Without honesty your team will not work well with you or others. Be transparent and concentrate on always being honest and sincere with your actions and how they affect your team. As a result your team members will respect you even more.
- Enhance your leadership skills with effective decision making. You are the boss, so you will have to make many decisions.
- If you are one of a team that is divided about how to solve problems, it is important to choose solutions that will benefit the whole team instead of only a few people.
- Tenacity is vital to effective leadership. Developing a keeping on keeping on mentality is an essential quality of all good leaders.
- Learn to manage your emotions. There will be times when not everything runs smoothly and, inevitably, that’s the time when your leadership skills will come under scrutiny. The people closest to you will be watching closely your every reaction to the challenges you face as a team. Don’t let them down.
That’s when your leadership skills must come to the fore. Seeing your dogged determination to deal with these inevitable hurdles will motivate everyone. It’s about leading by example and great leaders will keep on keeping on until they have found the solution they were seeking.
If you believe that intimidation, fear and disrespect is needed to run a business or a company you are wrong. Leadership is about being able to motivate when your team needs motivation, it means being able to empower those that need guidance and a great leader respects everyone in the team.
Take these tips to heart and apply them in your business, at home with your family and in everything you do in life. You’ll be surprised at the results. The more you learn about leadership and what it takes to become a leader the better leader you’ll become.
If you have received value from this post and understand better the importance of acquiring leadership skills, please share and comment.